Monday, March 11, 2024

Release: Vampire

 

Vampire
Genre: Drama/Thriller
Director: Robert Eggers
Writer: Ben Collins 
Based on the 1915 film A Fool There Was and the poem The Vampire by Rudyard Kipling
Cast: Taylor Kitsch, Samara Weaving, Shailene Woodley, Katherine Langford, Tom Bateman, Violet McGraw, James Frain, Bridget Regan



Budget: $37,000,000
Domestic Box Office: $31,404,053
Foreign Box Office: $50,940,236
Total Profit: $5,599,049

Reaction: Vampire joins One By One and My Sister as films to just barely earn a profit so far this season. It certainly beats losing money though, that's for sure.


"Samara Weaving gets a chance to shine in her biggest showcase in her LRF career. She is completely believable and entrancing as the 'vampire' of the title, sucking the life and finances from the men around her. Opposite her, I was actually a bit disappointed by the performances from Taylor Kitsch and Shailene Woodley who just didn't have much chemistry together. But I did also enjoy seeing something a bit different from Ben Collins and Robert Eggers, who kept things tense but didn't devolve into horror or cheap thrills." - Josh Manning, NY Daily News



"When you read the news that Robert Eggers is making a film called Vampire, I doubt this is the film you had in mind. Borrowing most from the absurd humor of The Lighthouse, this film feels like a campy melodrama with hints of horror — anchored by a cartoonish Samara Weaving, who is clearly having a blast. I don't if I'd say it's good, but it's certainly something to behold." - Reggie Coscarelli, San Fernando Valley Sun




"Although I appreciated the lead actors' performances, the movie as a whole came dangerously close to putting me to sleep. Somewhere during the second act, my interest waned, and I struggled to grasp the film's purpose. It's not that I didn't understand it, considering its heavy-handed approach, but I simply didn't find it engaging from the start, to be honest. While there may have been a story, I couldn't bring myself to care about how it was executed." - Connor Pierce,  Reelz.com







Rated R for violence, sexuality and thematic material

No comments:

Post a Comment