Friday, September 6, 2024

COMIC BOOK GUY (SEASON 30)

 

I suppose I can take a little break from acting out Michael Bay's awful Ninja Turtles film idea (they were going to be aliens from a turtle planet) with my vintage Colorforms to cobble together a segment for this season. It's me, the Comic Book Guy! Yada, yada, yada. As a self-proclaimed expert with exquisite taste in the medium, I am going to give my unfiltered thoughts on this season's slate of comic book films. Here we go...



DEATHSTROKE
Deathstroke as an actual film is almost completely devoid of character development but it delivers as a hack-and-slash action film with one brutally efficient violent action/fight sequence after another, after another. As a DC movie it felt a bit on the weak side, but as a Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle it was quite good.





MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: THE SWORD OF POWER
Alan Ritchson continues to be little more than a big lug who looks good in the He-Man costume. Thankfully that's all the role of He-Man really requires. Samara Weaving was a welcome (and beautiful) addition in the LONG in the works sequel as She-Ra. MOTU is not going to win any awards, but it should please fans as it does feel like a big cartoon brought to big-budget life.





TARZAN
There were two previous Hollywood attempts at a live-action Tarzan film in the last 40 years - Greystoke and The Legend of Tarzan. Both attempts were slogs to get through that took the material too seriously and did know how to have any fun. APJ's Tarzan sacrificed the serious elements of the story, but brought plenty of action and fun to the big screen.





X-MEN: HELLFIRE
I didn't love what the story did to certain character *cough* Havok *cough* but I have to at least give the script credit for not following in Fox's lead and botching Phoenix for a third time in a row. So while there are some issues as a reader I had, Phoenix worked well for once.





JUSTICE LEAGUE INVASION
Justice League Invasion feels half of one very big movie and now I hate that I have to wade through 29 films next season before I get the conclusion. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment