Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 28 Round 1)

  
Season 28 is off to a pretty entertaining start. Here's The Roundup....

3. Season 28
I think this season is off to a pretty good start. In the first three films, we had two profitable films, two films with a 70+ Metascore and the first box office  blockbuster of the season. Let's see if that can continue in Round 2....

2. Gas Bar Blues
I found Gas Bar Blues to be one of writer Mo Buck's better films in recent seasons. When compared to films like The Passenger, Tomato Can and Collapse, the characters work a lot better here, giving Tom Hanks his best LRF role since The King of Hearts (Yes, I liked him better here than in Revival).

1. Task Force X: Jungleland
I thought this third entry had the best-written action scenes and featured one of the more entertaining character lineups of the TFX series.

3. Award Contenders
While the season has just begun, I simply don't forsee any of the first three releases being serious awards contenders. Maybe Hanks or one of the supporting actors in Gas Bar Blues if the categories are weak enough.

2. John David Washington
I liked Task Force X: Jungleland, and don't necessarily think JDW is terrible in it, but I simply cannot figure out why Hollywood is trying to push him as a star. He lacks charisma and range, simple as that. 

1. D.I.C.K.
Much has been said about DICK already, so I won't continue beating a dead horse by going into too much detail with my issues. I will say that I think the general concept is a good one, but the execution wound up featuring more than a couple fatal flaws, dooming the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment