Sunday, January 7, 2024

Interview: H.G. Hansen

 
In this edition of Interview, Last Resort Films president Phil Dolan sits down with writer H.G. Hansen (We Were Never Here, The Hulk 2) to discuss the behind-the-scenes drama on his latest film, his producing role on recent films, and more.

PD: It has become very public that you were replaced as director on Forever Hold the Peace after star Maya Hawke insisted that a female director be hired. How did you handle that situation?

HH: Well, as I said in my recent blog post, I got upset by the news. I mean, you have your heart set on something that felt like a guarantee. Then one day, out of nowhere, you're being told something that makes it all feel like a dream. Like it never existed to begin with. I got upset. Maybe more than upset as I felt like someone was taking something from me. And the thing that made it worse, I couldn't stop or want to stop it. After I cooled off, I started thinking of how it be a good thing like a "God closes one door..." kind of thing. Then after talking to my sis for more clarity, I quickly went to do the right thing of bowing out and avoid making an unnecessary mess. Honestly, as soon as I made the phone call, I instantly began to think of it less and less.


PD: You've written (or co-written) several superhero projects for the studio. Is that a genre you're still interested in working in?

HH: I have a tough time answering that question myself nowadays tbh. I'm currently working on the superhero projects I've been planning on doing for some time. But on some off days, I start to think about how superhero films have become so challenging with this baggage of how they are now perceived in the world. For the millionth time, I don't think people know how much space rent-free FIRESTORM has in my head. Anytime I got to map out the story, I worry if I'm doing too much or I'm doing so little, or if I was focused on the right thing for the story. It'd make me put this impossible amount of pressure on myself. So after I'm done with Katana & etc, I'm gonna venture out into different realms as I feel like I've been on a long car ride that is way too small.

PD: In recent seasons, you have taken on the role of producer on a few films. The first two films - Bunny and The Watsons Go to Birmingham - were massive flops both financially and critically, but The Girls last season worked out better. Does that have you wanting to continue working as a producer in the future?

HH: Yeah, I mean I like to help those who are having problems with their scripts. I mean my opinion is worth its weight in salt. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to try and help those with creative roadblocks. It started as a favor to those I think could be more like my sister & a project I was working on but quit. Rosie came to me for The Girls as I saw potential in it. Overall, I helped with the casting but an example of my side with this was since (Jodie) Foster was already the director. So, I thought maybe cast her as the older version and we can find someone who's talented even level and kinda looks like her. Millie Bobby Brown was carefully selected as the choice. Then I went to work on the rest and as I already told you, when I cast, I cast people who haven't worked in a while to get new chances. Hopefully to showcase to the other writers the talent I believe in. In the movie, Rosie wrote that herself with me helping her clean some parts up. But in the end, it was Rosie’s story.


PD: Do you have any upcoming projects you're excited about?

HH: Yes, so I have projects already known from my blog that still are in the pipeline. But recently, I have begun thinking of new ideas like horror, dramas, maybe a rated R Christmas comedy/sci-fi idea I've been thinking about for years, and also some IPs I think deserve dire attention that may not be what you'd first think. But I'll reveal those ideas after Forever Hold The Peace B.O. results. I hope everyone enjoyed the movie enough to see I'm trying different stories in different, yet honest ways. I loved working with my sister and hope to work with others in the future (if they want). 

No comments:

Post a Comment