Friday, May 17, 2024

COMIC BOOK GUY (SEASON 29)

 
There weren't as many comic book films to cover this season. That's fine though as it will give me more time to act out how Star Trek: Generations should have gone with my Star Trek Mego figures.
It's me, the Comic Book Guy. Beam me up, Scotty! As a self-proclaimed expert with exquisite taste in the medium, I am going to give my unfiltered thoughts on this season's slate of comic book films. Here we go...



MOON KNIGHT
Moon Knight doesn't have the cache of many other heroes, but the filmmakers used that to their advantage with the film by setting a unique tone. Leonardo DiCaprio was great at playing the schizo aspects of Marc Spector, but I didn't really buy him in the action parts. Took a whole team of talented and dedicated stuntmen to make it look like Leo could win a fight.




STARMAN
Sometimes an actor is so perfect in a role, you just go along with the ride. The plot structure of Starman is a little funky and makes some questionable turns. I was annoyed that Ashton Kutcher was wasted in his role. Ella Purnell and Theo James were both quite boring in their roles. BUT! Joe Keery was absolutely pitch perfect as DC's original hipster superhero, Jack Knight / Starman.




THE TOMB OF DRACULA
The plot of The Tomb of Dracula was a bit of a mess. Sometimes it was too slovenly faithful to the wrong parts of the comics and lacked the sense of adventure I was expecting. All that said, Antony Starr's performance as Dracula made up for a lot of the film's other issues. If this series is going to survive and thrive it needs to up the action and figure out its tone better.




THE CROW: MIDNIGHT GARDEN
Loosely based on James O'Barr's comic series, this Crow film took me by surprise. I loved the idea of having this version of the Crow be a young girl who has come back from the dead (aged up of course) to solve her own murder. One of the critics mentioned plot holes, but I didn't spot any. The only problem with this film is that it can be too bleak at times. This film played like a Hot Topic kid's dreams come true.




SPIDER-MAN: REQUIEM
I don't know what the hell the filmmakers are doing with Doc Ock and Venom, but I am curious to see where it goes. The series will have big shoes to fill with McConaughey's Goblin seemingly out of the picture, so it makes sense to plant the seeds for a couple new big villains. Gwen Stacy dying halfway through the film was absolutely stunning. I assumed it would happen in the end, but doing it in the middle of the story was ballsy to say the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment