Sunday, November 18, 2018

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 9 Round 1)

Welcome to Season 9, everybody! Even though I'm still reeling a bit from the wild Season 8 awards season, it's time to focus on the first round of the new season with the latest edition of The Roundup....
 3. Captain Atom
The film itself was okay, but what I left the theater excited about was the future villains teased during the second post-credits season. Comic fans will recognize the characters as the super-villain team The Extremists. I'm not sure how they or Captain Atom as a film fits into the greater DC Comics Universe at the studio, but I'm excited to find out.

2. Before You Help
Simply based on the story (and not any other factors) Before You Help is easily the best collaboration between Jack Ryder, Lynne Ramsay and Charlie Cox. In fact, I'd rank it up there with Nobody and Numero Uno as one of Ryder's better scripts. Plus, no soundtrack...

1. Westerns
I've always been a sucker for a solid western. Not only was Outlaw Country a fun entry into the genre, but its strong performance at the box office further supports the genre going forward.
3. Jon Hamm
I've liked Jon Hamm in stuff. I don't have any hate for the guy, but I think that he is most effective as a comedic actor where he can use his handsomeness and expressive face for laughs. He feels too old, too tired to be starting off a superhero franchise with an origin film. As usual, I have no hard evidence to back this up, but I have to think that Hamm (age 47) may have set a record for the oldest actor to star in the title role in a superhero origin story.

2. Kate McKinnon
UGH....

1. Charlie Cox and Jack Ryder
I've never understood Jack Ryder's love affair with Charlie Cox. Cox is an alright actor, but certainly not a top-tier talent. With how strong the script for Before You Help was, I can't help but wonder how much better the film could have been with a more talented actor in the lead role. At least he's better than Brandon Routh...

No comments:

Post a Comment