Thursday, April 4, 2024

A Second Look: The Great Beyond

 

Welcome back for another edition of A Second Look with Jeff Stockton! In this segment I will take a "second look" at a past LRF release with a fresh set of eyes.

Solace is the 8th collaboration between writers Chad Taylor and Jimmy Ellis, which made it seem like a good time to take a "second look" at their first co-writing venture. That film was The Great Beyond, released back in Season 14. The sci-fi drama was headlined by a talented trio - Amy Adams, Idris Elba and John Cho - and directed by Ang Lee. When it was released, I thought it was going to be a bit of a bigger player in GRA season than it ended up being, so I probably liked it slightly more than other critics that season. I enjoyed the film's balance of sci-fi and drama, and the performances of its starring trio.

Taking A Second Look at The Great Beyond now, I found it to bit of a downer. Ang Lee's direction and the performances of Adams, Cho and Elba are all fantastic. But man was The Great Beyond a despressing time at the movies. I understand that the nature of the story is not a happy one, but I feel it was a bit more depressing than it needed to be. And did we need a scene of Elba and Cho crying together for an entire minute straight? It's still a very good film, I just felt The Great Beyond was bit more down than it needed to be.

Original Grade: A-

New Grade: B+



No comments:

Post a Comment