Saturday, July 16, 2022

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 23 Round 7)

 
Some awards races are starting to shape up and all three films made money, so it was a successful round. Here's The Roundup....

3. A Boy and His Robot
A Boy and His Robot was a decent film. Nothing groundbreaking, but it moved at a nice pace and had an interesting concept (even if it doesn't reach its full potential).

2. Box Office
No giant blockbusters this round, but each of the three films were plenty profitable.

1. Poison Ivy: Mind Games
Poison Ivy 2, in my mind, is one of this season's masterpieces. I loved it even more than I loved the first film. It just feels like a more confident film that pushes its characters further. And Sydney Sweeney is somehow even better this time around in the titular role.


3. N/A

2. A Boy and His Robot
I feel like A Boy and His Robot could have pushed its world further into more original territory as it felt like a riff on well-worn genre elements at times. Archie Yates was also a bit grating for a leading role.

1. Calvin and Hobbes
I found this film to be a chaotic mess. I don't even know what the plot was - and I've watched it a few times now. Writer Joshua Collins recently defended the messiness of the film by stating it was a reflection of the minds of 6 year olds. The big problem with that defense is that I don't think 6 year olds even know what Calvin and Hobbes is (which frankly makes the strong box office a pleasant surprise) - not to mention that has nothing to do with the lack of plot. I wouldn't mind seeing what Collins can do with a sequel (since the box office certainly warrants it), but I hope he puts some more effort into the plot next time around rather than just having one day dream after another with no story tying them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment