Friday, July 8, 2022

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 23 Round 6)

 
Spider-Man has the season looking healthy again from a box office standpoint. Here's The Roundup....

3. Sammy-Jo Ellis
Welcome to LRF. Ellis' debut, So This Is What It Feels Like, was a mixed bag for me but it is always exciting when a new writer debuts.

2. Spider-Man
Chad Taylor and D.R. Cobb are just very good at writing Spider-Man, plain and simple. I liked the first film a bit more, but I like that they upped the ante, and clearly they have a vision in mind for the characters going forward.

1. Marvel Universe
The studio box office history has long been dominated by DC Comics, but now it is finally looking like their Marvel Comics films are starting to catch up at the box office.

3. So This Is What It Feels Like
I didn't hate the film, but at times it felt too cutesy (in a hipster indie sort of way). Films like that used to have a place in the cinematic landscape, but I feel like its time has passed.

2. The Nest
I actually thought The Nest was decent. That said, I think its genre descriptions didn't quite feel right. Sure, the horror elements weren't super visible until the last third of the film, but I guarantee you the film would have gotten even better reviews and made a lot more money if Horror had been on of the genres it was marketed under.

1. Awards Races
The Awards Races aren't very competitive yet admittedly. The next few rounds should change that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment