Saturday, April 27, 2019

Interview: Jimmy Ellis


In this edition of Interview, Last Resort Films president Phil Dolan sits down with one of the studio's newest writers, Jimmy Ellis (Missing Men) to discuss his upcoming slate of films.

PD: Your first film for the studio, last season's Missing Men, was a moderate success. It's pretty rare that a writer starts out with an original story, how did that project come about?

JE: I started writing Missing Men a few years ago now, I don't really know why I wrote a war film, it may have something to do with me liking those types of War/Thriller films. Originally I did not know where I was going with the story but as I sat down and started writing, more ideas came to me. I was basing the character of Aleksandr Kuznetsov (Jared Leto's character) on something I thought Tom Hardy could take as his own and run with it. He in the end did not take the role, however I feel Jared did an excellent job with what was given to him.

PD: Your next film, The Devil in the White City, is based on a book that has been the subject to multiple big screen attempts, including from the likes of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio. What do you think it is about the story that makes it prime for a cinematic adaptation?

JE: Yes, it has been the subject of big screen attempts many a time. I believe that The Devil in the White City deserves to be on the big screen, because of the events that happened at this time, the worlds fair being the backdrop of H.H Holmes murders. The intriguing manner in which all had happened is another draw as well. I just hope that David and the producers can capture the setting, when the film releases.

PD: You also have a DC Comics film, based on the character Vixen, due out later this season. What can you tell us about that project?


JE: Yes, my next release after The Devil In The White City will be, Vixen: The Totems of Zambesi. I Co-wrote this project with H.G Hansen and we feel like we did her justice. A lot of people may be shocked as she is not the only hero, in this film. Stay tuned and watch the film to find out who those other heroes are. Some may not like the route we took with changing some origins but we feel it fits into the story and the grand scheme of things well.

PD: Are there any other projects you're working on that you want to mention?

JE: Yeah I am currently working on a few films, one being an adaptation of Sebastian Barry's book Days Without End. Also an adaptation of the book Kindred. Along with a few more original stories, another war film, a western and a couple of dramas. Also a few more DC Universe films (of other characters in Vixen: The Totems of Zambesi).

PD: What are some of your favorite LRF releases?

JE: Well I have a fair amount of favorite releases from LRF, more recently I have enjoyed films such as Ghost Town, Justice League International and 7 Days. Along with the Batman films, Mandingos, Spark of Madness and the Booster Gold films. I am looking forward to seeing what Chad Taylor does with the 3rd installment. Also The Question series, a masterpiece along the lines of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment