Thursday, April 29, 2021

A Second Look: Death Dream


Welcome back for the first Season 19 edition of A Second Look with Jeff Stockton! In this segment I will take a "second look" at a past LRF release with a fresh set of eyes. For the first few films I've covered for this segment, I took a look at films with middle-of-the-road receptions. To mix things up this season, I'll be looking at films with more extreme receptions- either extremely positive or extremely negative.

First up, I will take a look at a film I remember quite fondly... Death Dream. The film very deservedly won 5 Golden Reel Awards back in Season 6 - including Best Picture and the first Best Actor trophy for star Alden Ehrenreich.

Death Dream, directed by David Robert Mitchell and written by John Malone, was based on a little known 1974 horror film from director Bob Clark (Christmas Story, Porky's, Black Christmas). Malone's script takes the original, which was a borderline zombie film, and turns it into a suspenseful meditation on the affects of warfare. Going in I considered the film to be one of the top 5 films ever released by LRF - and upon this new reflection it completely holds up. It more than holds up, I'd even rate it a little higher than I did originally. I highly recommend all of you take another look at this masterpiece.

Original Grade: A

New Grade: A+


Death Dream Link:
https://sites.google.com/site/lrfimdb/death-dream



No comments:

Post a Comment