Friday, August 7, 2020

Interview: H.G. Hansen


In this edition of Interview, Last Resort Films president Phil Dolan sits down for an interview with writer HG Hansen (Unknown, Sabbatical Recovery) to discuss the long-awaited sequel to his Season 8 hit Maximum Ride, as well as what he thinks what wrong with some of his other recent projects.

PD: The first Maximum Ride film was released all the way back in Season 8. What are your expectations for this sequel?

HH: I'd have to say first is fun. Simple fun for anyone who watches. No tired cliches or boring tropes other franchises do with stories like this. Maximum Ride holds a special place in my heart. I'm so proud of the first film made regardless of the critical response. The fact people went to see the movie shows how important it is for you to love something so much, that you make something that helps show others why you love it. The cast couldn't be more perfect as they helped accomplish what has been a dream of mine to make this story available to others. Joss, who's always so talented, really was the smart choice and I look forward to at least completing the original story told. The first film did everything you're supposed to do and it shows the results when you do. I aim to not make a Matrix Reloaded situation where I insult those who loved the film we made and continue to build a following this property deserves.

PD: The first film garnered mixed reviews, but was a hit at the box office. Do you think this sequel can match the box office of the first film without big names like Kevin Costner and Salma Hayek in the cast?

HH: Well, I would say that brings up concerns but I actually planned to get two new characters who could help with that. The villian is being aiming to be casted by a top actress and a certain character that was introduced in the first movie is a surprise casting. Besides all that, I'm sure my deep, deep, deep love for this series can bring this series forward. I'm more worried about the time between films that will be a factor. I just want folks to know I aim to avoid the typical cliches and want to make a fun movie and empowering story for females since Max is one of my all-time favorite characters.

PD: Your last two films, The Cape and Sabbatical Recovery, were both pretty sizable bombs at the box office. What do you think went wrong?

HH: I won't say they were sizeable bombs. Unknown is third smallest profit loss and SR started a guy that doesn't really act anymore. But I do see the complaints people had for both films. Unknown didn't have the impactful ending I wanted or envisioned and SR maybe could have used a facelift to make it fit what I wanted. But I'm happy I did them. They were some of the first stories I ever came up with and I've gotten people to reach out telling me they liked them which is all I wanted. I may have looked for a bigger response to Unknown but it was almost meant to be a smaller indie influenced by David Lynch, Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan and my love for descent into madness movies. SR was based off a small play I made for my fellow drama school mates that we only played for friends. I just make original films I would like to watch so I can see how not EVERYONE likes what I like. I'm used to it.

PD: You don't have much in the way of films waiting to be produced by the studio. Is there anything you're working on that we'll eventually see?

HH: Yes I am working on some stuff, but I just wanna make sure I WANT to make the story I'm writing. I'm gonna come clean so others can understand where my head has been for the past year.

You see, I've been going through a bit of a rough patch for awhile that seems like decades. I've been struggling with alcoholic tendencies for almost seven years now and have had a bad willingness to believe in myself when I do. I'm sure some people probably knew without me saying so, which I'm not mad they know.

In fact, I've struggled to keep writing after my last films since they've been so critically bashed, not that some had points. I find I'm more of a detailed writer and I've struggled with the word limit which greatly shows. I deeply thank those who went out of their way to give me praise, which it does help but only makes me sadder the critics couldn't feel the same.

I'm more focused on touching up adaptions I'm pining to do and then take some time to self reflect. I'm inching more to this movie I done in the toughest of times with my addiction which is about alcohol addiction and the struggles of keeping sober while dealing with loved ones and the world around you. I'm making a good go of it to stay sober enough to get the right inspiration for the film since I'm going for a close to home take. That's why for the millionth time, I apologise to those I've upset and offended. I wasn't in the right mindset and I let my ego get the better of me. I'm working on it and focusing on one thing at a time trying to recapture my love for storytelling. Sorry for getting too personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment