Thursday, October 8, 2020

Release: Whammy


Whammy
Genre: Animation/Adventure
Director: Thurop Van Orman
Writer: Jacob Jones
Based on the game show Press Your Luck created Bill Carruthers and Jan McCormack
Cast: Lewis Black, Amy Poehler, John Cena, Maulik Pancholy, Craig Ferguson, Andrea Libman, John De Lancie



Budget: $48,000,000
Domestic Box Office: $45,131,846
Foreign Box Office: $32,973,489
Total Profit: -$38,111,045

Reaction: Let's face it, this one was a risky proposition on paper. We at the studio did everything we could to try to avoid losses on the project, but ultimately it may be that there simply wasn't enough of an audience out their for this IP to succeed.


"I have no idea what I just watched. I could not describe the story of this one if my life depended on it, and that tends to not be a good sign. While I'm sure the film may find an audience, it might be too weird to catch on with the masses." - Evan Kane, Buffalo News


"While the story and idea is absolutely bonkers and appears to have been concocted with the help of some heavy psychedelics, the film is nonetheless a bizarrely fun time." - Geoff Bray, Slant Magazine

 


 "Whammy is fun, I'll give it that. Jacob Jones has crafted a very strange animated film that appears to be attempting to make a multi-media franchise out of an obscure and mostly forgotten game show mascot. I don't know if I should be applauding or simply scratching my head by that decision, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entertained throughout." - Tom Lane, Detroit News



Rated PG for some action and mild rude humor

 

No comments:

Post a Comment