Friday, August 24, 2018

Interview: H.G. Hansen

For this latest edition of Interview, I sat down with one of the latest writers for the studio, H.G. Hansen, as he finished up his first season with Last Resort Films.

PD: You are closing out your first season as a writer with Last Resort Films. What are your thoughts on your first season?

HH: I couldn't be happier… I mean I may have not knocked out of the park my take on Looking for Alaska. That's my bad which I already said. But I'm confident in MY TAKE on Dark Places. Otherwise, it's been fun so far...

PD: Your latest film, Dark Places, was previously adapted not too long ago with Charlize Theron in the lead role. What compelled you to try another take at adapting Gillian Flynn's novel so soon?

HH: Many people have told me that that film is one of the worse adaptions ever made. I remember reading it and thought it would be fun to do. I first made it to be more like the book but it was too alike the previous film. So I had to think “should I kill it or Make my own version?”. So I thought deep and long how I would do this and I came up with a story I'm very proud of. I believe I wrote something I should have a long time ago. I got deeply inspired by Cary Fukunaga's previous work on "True Detective" and I hope people see I made something for the both of us. I think we can truly bring the best out of us both. Also, I hope Katherine Waterston gets seriously looked at cause I wrote a very juicy part for her, which she deserves.

PD: What's more important to you, box office success or critical acclaim and awards?

HH: I’d like to start that I always want my films to make their money back. But getting recoginized for your hard work is great too. Awards are just a bonus for me. I mean sometimes a film will get an award and it didn’t really deserve it like Crash, Suicide Squad, or Pearl Harbor. So that don’t mean to much to me but if I work on something I'd like to earn acclaim, then a nomination is awesome as well. Overall, box office success is key to me. Not to make a buttload of money, but to know people wanted to see my film.

PD: What are some of your favorite films released by the studio?

HH: Lets see… Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, The Prisoner, Death Dream, The Question series, Numero Uno (can't wait to get into that), Akira, Steins;Gate, the Buck/Larson/Vallee dramas, and some of the Monster Universe films.

PD: What's next for you?

HH: Well… I've been very vocal about what's next for me on my blog, H.G. Live!, And I said I have some original works I'm tuning up. But I also still have few more adaptions I wanna do. My next film, Eleanor & Park should be the next great millennial/gen x era romance and I'm deeply excited for Maximum Ride and how I look forward to making more of it. Like I said before, I'd like to have a chance to make a more faithful take on the brilliant anime/manga, Ghost In the Shell. As I also have many comics and/or graphic novels no have heard of that should get movies. I'll say this… I'm definitely doing Bryan Lee O'Malley's novel, Seconds, a comic called Cross Bronx, a comic I truly believe is different from what's out there, and a Gran Torino type drama- action film called A Hero At Home. Also really want to get myself into the DC Universe here as well. But, I change my mind every day, so we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment