Wednesday, March 2, 2022

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 22 Round 2)

 
Two rounds are in the books. While not a thrilling round, it was solid. That and more in The Roundup....

3. The Only Good Indians
The story of this one is a bit too on the complicated side of things and a bit too long, when it really should have been a smaller, creepy movie. The spooky imagery was nice and I thought most of the cast did well, even if I didn't find myself invested in their story.

2. Northrock
I liked Northrock until the end, if you can call it that. I thought Jimmy Ellis and Jordan Vogt-Roberts did a good job building the world of the film, and Jamie Dornan did a solid job as the protagonist. My main gripe is the ending that tries harder to set-up further films than it does to complete one story. It was still my favorite film of the round, but none of them particularly stood out to me and I obviously have some issues with it.

1. Box Office
While not spectacular, the box office this round was solid. The studio could still definitely use more hits if it wants to avoid the low profits of last season though.

3. Northrock
By now I'm sure everyone knows how much I hate when these films end on cliffhangers to try to force a franchise. It's especially egregious with a film like Northrock where it is a lone, original film. Yes, the film probably made enough to continue the story in a second film, but it was certainly no guarantee. It also feels like we don't really get a complete story in one film, which kind of rips off the audience.

2. Tekken: Blood Feud
I was hoping that with so much character development out of the way thanks to the handful of LRF NOW films, Tekken: Blood Feud would be able to focus on action and story. My hopes did not become reality as this theatrical Tekken film has all the same flaws as those projects - mainly too many characters and not enough focus on one main plot - with the film constantly jumping around between the different characters and their plotlines so much that I couldn't keep track. The film did decently at the box office, so I imagine a sequel will have a greenlight from the studio. Hopefully if one does get made, it will improve upon the issues this film had.

1. Box Office
I know the box office is doing decently so far, with only one bomb among the six releases. But looking at those six films, as well as at some of the upcoming films on the schedule, I worry the studio may face some of the same troubles it had last season. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's looking highly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment