Friday, November 10, 2023

A Second Look: The Smoke in the Red Country

 

Welcome back for another edition of A Second Look with Jeff Stockton! In this segment I will take a "second look" at a past LRF release with a fresh set of eyes.

Gerard Butler is back on LRF screens this round in the video game adaptation Watch Dogs. To commemorate the event, I decided to take a look at his first film for the studio... The Smoke in the Red Country. This is definitely one of, if not the, most recent entry in A Second Look, but it made sense in this round. The film, written by Meirad Tako and helmed by Tomas Alfredson, debuted in Season 17 to mediocre reviews but pretty decent box office results. When it came out I appreciated the film's muscular, old-school action vibe. The film definitely had some shortcomings, namely the lack of logic in the plot.

Taking A Second Look at The Smoke in the Red Country, I recognized a lot of the same issues this time around. Butler is able to get all over the globe seemingly instantly. I was able to overlook that a bit more this time and just enjoyed Gerard Butler whiping out bad guys. I also enjoyed Sean Patrick Flanery more in his villainous role this time around. The film isn't going to complete with Citizen Kane and Vertigo for a slot at the AFI Top 100 list, but I had some fun with it.

Original Grade: C

New Grade: C+


No comments:

Post a Comment