Wednesday, December 13, 2023

A Second Look: Less

 

Welcome back for another edition of A Second Look with Jeff Stockton! In this segment I will take a "second look" at a past LRF release with a fresh set of eyes.

The Pull of the Stars is the fourth collaboration between writers Rosie JoLove and Rachel Hallett Hardcastle, so in honor of that I decided to hop into the wayback scene only 10 seasons back for a second look at their first film together, Less. My inital take on Less was that it was a mess of too many characters, too many locations, too many pointless flashbacks. I thought Ewan McGregor gave an okay performance in the lead role, but nothing in the film particularly impressed me.

Taking a second look at the film now, and my opinion on the film really hasn't changed much in the last 10 seasons. The film is still more or less incoherent. It simply wasn't a good story for a film. I could see this time what some other critics meant about Ewan McGregor giving an "empathetic performance", but that didn't do much to help the overall quality of the film. I found it difficult to keep track of characters and locations as there are simply too many to keep track of.


Original Grade: D-

New Grade: D-


No comments:

Post a Comment