Thursday, January 6, 2022

Interview: Jimmy Ellis

 

In this edition of Interview, Last Resort Films president Phil Dolan sits down for an interview with Jimmy Ellis (Atlantis, The Void) - who in his 10 seasons with the studio has slowly become one of its most prolific writers - to discuss his films from this season.

PD: The Void has become the best reviewed of all of your solo writing efforts. Were you surprised by the reception and the accompanying box office success?

JE: To be honest I was surprised on both accounts. Obviously, I was hopeful for a profit and good reviews, but I didn’t expect this. My first solo “Must see” movie, I was extremely happy but surprised at the same time. The Void was a bit of a weird one for me. I started writing it when I first started here in LRF however I didn’t think the writing was strong enough so I shelved it. After a few more seasons I came back to it and it began to flow. I knew I wanted it to be about a man that didn’t feel like he belonged here on Earth. I have to commend Josh Brolin and Jeff Nichols without the two of them I don’t think I make this film. So to answer your question bluntly, yes, I was surprised.


PD: Red Wolf is the first time you've worked with writer Dwight Gallo. You've worked with a lot of other writers over the seasons. How does working with Dwight compare?

JE: Yes, I have sort of made a name for myself through co-writing on projects. John Malone, Chad Taylor, H.G Hansen and now Dwight Gallo. When I wrote with H.G it was just ideas getting thrown out left right and centre as stated in reviews of our films. Working with him was a lot of fun, due to the ideas he came up with. Working with John and Chad has been amazing. The two of them had already worked together so the process with both of them was pretty similar and I was taught a lot by the both of them, I actually can’t thank the two of them enough for progressing my writing. As for Dwight I asked him if he wanted to co-write something a long while back, at the time he said no as he felt the idea didn’t work with him. When I stumbled across the character of Red Wolf I knew I wanted to work with Dwight on it, to be far I probably wouldn’t have written the film. Dwight wanted to work on another Native American project after Nez Perce so I got lucky there. Dwight’s ideas that he has on how to improve and write is amazing. I am so privileged to be able to work with these guys and Dwight is definitely no exception. I am pleased to announce that the character of Red Wolf will return and he will not be the only character that Dwight and I have worked on.


PD: Speaking of Red Wolf, you're one of the few writers to work on films in both the DC Comics Universe and the Marvel Universe. Which have you enjoyed working on more?

JE: That’s a tough one. I’ve enjoyed working in both worlds tremendously. My most enjoyable has probably been writing on the Marvel side of things. It’s typically more challenging as you have to come up with something not done with Disney’s Marvel films. I’ve had to experiment a bit more. Red Wolf is only the beginning of my Marvel films, and my Marvel films with Dwight Gallo. He has been a great writing partner and as a lot of knowledge on the subject. On the DC side I’ve worked and continue to work with APJ, he’s been great as well. H.G was another that I worked with on DC films and the creativity there was amazing. It is hard to pick but as of right now I have found the Marvel side of things more enjoyable, mainly due to the experimentation. You can expect to see more from these universes from me in the future.


PD: You're following up one of your biggest blockbusters to date, Atlantis, with a smaller drama like The Mobster's Violin. After 10 seasons writing for the studio, have you enjoyed working on bigger blockbuster films or smaller character studies more?

JE: Wow, 10 seasons, far out, didn’t realise it was that long. As for your question its another tough one. I love both but I’d have to say I like the smaller character studies more. Drawing Dion was one of my favourite things to write, then we have The Grenade and The Void from this season even. In saying that though there is something about trying to create an engaging piece from bigger IP. I have liked writing just about every film that I have up to Season 21 and beyond. I will say for you guys to look forward to one I am working on now that incorporates a smaller case study with a larger IP.


PD: You've worked with two pretty in-demand stars in this half of the season, Timothee Chalamet and now Joaquin Phoenix. Are there any more stars you've wanted to work with that you haven't yet?

JE: It is my second time working with both men. I knew for both of these films this season that I wanted these two guys. I actually would go so far to say the only reason Timothee is Orm is because I pushed so hard. As for more stars I do have a list. Johnny Depp, Michael B. Jordan, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton, Keanu Reeves, Christian Bale and Gary Oldman. All of these people I desperately want to work with. I know of two of them that I have something coming, those being Swinton and Reeves. But the rest I really, really want to work with, I just need to find the right project. Another would be Daniel Day-Lewis but obviously that can’t happen anymore due to him being retired. Yeah if I could have anyone still alive it would be him.

No comments:

Post a Comment