Monday, January 10, 2022

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 21 Round 8)

 
Just two rounds left... Here's The Roundup....

3. Award Races
I feel like some of the award races are finally starting to solidify as of this round. I don't think this round is necessarily bringing any new front runners to the mix, but things are starting to tighten up and become more clear as the season runs out of films that could enter the race (Rodeo and Knievel sound like the most likely awards contenders remaining to me).

2. Bradley Cooper
Bradley Cooper has had a solid season with two solid leading performances in two films that one could argue over-performed (for their genres at least) at the box office. I could see one of the performances earning him a GRA nomination (my money is on Wolf).

1. Ghost Rider
I thought Ghost Rider was a lot of fun. Star Aaron Paul was solid casting as he suited this version of the character very well. Despite two prior adaptations of the character outside of LRF, this one still managed to do new stuff with the character and his abilities. I have to say though, my favorite part was David Duchovny's performance as Mephisto. He felt like a brand new take on the role. And thumbs up on the soundtrack - it might even be my second favorite LRF superhero soundtrack (after The Punisher, of course - which will be pretty tough to beat).

3. Profits
Two of this round's films performed pretty well at the box office, but profits were hard to come by (although it wasn't the worst round in the that department for the season).

2. The Mobster's Violin
You count me as one of the few (only) critics that did not care much for The Mobster's Violin. I found it moved way too slow and didn't result in much of a pay-off in the end. Phoenix could have been asleep and still pulled off the lead role with how bland the role was. The main forces involved in this one (Chazelle, Ellis, Phoenix, Pacino) all have and can do better than this.

1. Season Box Office
Unless Supergirl makes as much money as the two Superman films (and a few films perform better than I'm guessing), this season could be lowest grossing in the history of Last Resort Films. Any box office bombs in the remainder of the season could also result in the least profitable season in the studio's history as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment