Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Interview: Dominic Wilkins

For the first Interview segment of Season 6, I will sit down with the newest member of Mo Buck's Writers Association, Halo: ODST and Shake Hands with the Devil screenwriter, Dominic Wilkins.

PD: You're the newest member of Mo Buck's Writers Association. How did that come about?

DW: When Mo started and recruited us to write movies for the studio, I was away on a vacation with my family, so I couldn't hop on board right away. James was on board first and then Harry accepted. Ann was more reluctant at first and accepted to do it until she had no movie ideas anymore and I would get to take her place. Ann was always going to drop out at some point, even if she admitted recently that she would love to come back at some point. I want to tell my own stories and I'm grateful of the platform Last Resort Films is giving me.

PD: Your second film has just hit theaters and it couldn't be more different than your first film, Halo: ODST. What types of stories are you interested in telling going forward?

DW: It's funny that you're mentioning that my two films are completely different from one another when I didn't realize it until after I submitted them. With Halo: ODST (an adaptation) it was a great way to find my style and to get me going, as adapting the Halo franchise isn't actually challenging. I was always fascinated by Colonel Dallaire's story and the way it was constantly dramatized on television and radio every time he is mentioned. He's a man that was greatly affected by what he saw and people like to invent stories about what he lived through and I think the original story got lost somewhere down the line. Hell, even his own version of the story isn't true. I took the freedom to change things to tell his story differently. There's already a movie (in French) about his story, it's called J'ai serré la main du diable and he wasn't accurately portrayed in Hotel Rwanda. Well to come back to the question, I must say that I'm a real Halo buff and I will work profusely on the franchise in the coming seasons and I'll also work on some other big budget stuff. I work closely with Mo and we often tackle similar projects. I'll write a sequel to one of his movies in the future and I'll also work with one of our favorite directors in an upcoming smaller-scaled project. I'm really excited about my future here at Last Resort Films.

PD: What are some of your favorite films released by the studio?

DW: As you're probably aware by now, I'm more interested in blockbusters than in small budgeted movies (even if I can appreciate the hell out of them) In the past seasons, my favorite blockbuster was The Prisoner by John Malone and I also everything Tom Cruise starred in. Booster Gold is also a favorite and I must say that I really liked what everyone did with the DC Comics Universe. For smaller films, really liked Sinkhole from last season and I was a big fan of Into Thin Air, by James Morgan, a film that I considered had the Best Original Screenplay we've seen so far, even if the quality of original productions drastically increased over the time.

PD: What's next for you?

DW: I'll be working with one of my favorite director working today next season on a dramedy that I'll send in the next days before returning to my blockbuster projects. I already mentioned that I'll work extensively on the Halo franchise. I'll leave the main story for Mo and I took our critics seriously and I'll try to compensate the lack of character development with a movie that I have in the back of my mind, but don't get your hopes up, it'll probably be in a long time. I've also said that I'll work closely with Mo to create our own "universe" and I'm excited to see where it goes. (To give you a clue, it's a sci-fi movie) I'd also love to do a comic book movie in the future and with what the  Association has in store, it could become a reality.

Thanks for having me! I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment