Saturday, March 2, 2019

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 10 Round 6)

Ouch.... Talk about a rough round. Here's The Roundup....
3. SagaI appreciate the attempt and the effort here, not so much the end result. I like that Serkis and Campbell really tried to do something new, so the film gets my respect for that (but really not much else, but more on that later...).

2. Haute Couture

I loved the opening of Haute Couture. The chaos, the interactions between the characters, etc. all hit the right notes for me. I wish the second half of the film lived up to the promise of the first half.

1. Stray Dogs
I was pretty surprised by how much I ended up enjoying Stray Dogs. I haven't liked a Rodriguez film since Sin City, and I wasn't exactly impressed by all of the casting choices announced. But I ended up really digging the off-beat final product.
3. Haute Couture
I honestly began to lose interest in the film around the halfway point. The opening of Haute Couture was so strong that it all just went down hill from there. It just couldn't keep up with that fun, chaotic pace.

2. Saga
I felt a huge disconnect with this film and I'm still trying to figure out why. Maybe it shouldn't have been animated? I'm not sure exactly how to fix the film. A little more world building would have been nice since we really are never given the rules of the world, and that is crucial in big fantastical films like Saga.


1. Box Office
Talk about a rough round at the box office. All three films lost money, adding up to a total loss of nearly $150 million. Good thing the studio has a Splinter Cell film and Justice League International coming out by the end of the season, because I'm pretty sure it will take both being the huge hits they're expected to be in order to simply salvage the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment