Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Roundup with Jeff Stockton (Season 10 Round 7)

This is perhaps one of the strongest rounds in the studio's illustrious history, with three very good movies being released - and all three made money - which will make the Bottom Three hard to write, but I'm sure I'll find something to nitpick about. Here's The Roundup....
3. Hands on a Hard Body
A nice return to form for Linklater after the horrible Eleanor & Park. These are the types of movies he excels at - smaller comedic ensemble films - and should stick to making.

2. Letter to Myself

Mo Buck delivered a very personal, very emotional film for his directorial debut. He cast a group of tremendous young actors to bring his characters to life.

1. Quality
Seriously, all three of the films released this round were very good, with two of them reaching the illusive MUST SEE Metascore ranking. It's a rare feat, and just goes to show how much work the writers of the LRF screenwriting community put into their films.
3. Werner Herzog
As much fun as it was getting a Werner Herzog monologue at the end of Hands on a Hard Body, but at the end of the day I was left confused and distracted as to why there was a man with a heavy German accent in a small Texas town and nobody seemed to question it.

2. Henry Winkler
I love Henry Winkler, I truly do. I grew up watching "Happy Days", and still to this day have a strong appreciation of all things The Fonz. That said, he felt a little out of place in Letter to Myself.

1. Recasting
I understand why they recast the role of Sarah Fisher for Splinter Cell: Conviction - time has passed, plus Joey King was probably too busy with Letter to Myself, but I'd be lying if I didn't find it distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment