Monday, September 26, 2022

Interview: Sammy-Jo Ellis

 

In this edition of Interview, Last Resort Films president Phil Dolan sits down for an interview with sophomore writer Sammy-Jo Ellis (So This Is What It Feels Like) to discuss her latest film, Her Dying Wish, and her future plans.

PD: Your first film, So This Is What It Feels Like, did well with critics but didn't make much of a dent at the box office. What are you expectations for your latest film, Her Dying Wish?

SJE: Obviously I am hoping for success in both areas, but I will be honest, I think it may go along the same lines as STIWIFL. I believe that Her Dying Wish may come under some scrutiny due to its director, Lena Dunham. I was unaware of the controversies that she had and by the time I found out it was too late to change her. So yes, I believe that her being in the director chair may hurt the box office. It is a film about a fathers broken relationship with his daughter, and I believe that Ben Barnes and Jenna Ortega do a great job as the two. I hope the critics see it the same way.

PD: What made you decide to follow in your brother's footsteps writing for LRF?

SJE: I don’t know really, he just seemed to be having lots of fun doing it. He raved on about it and writing stories. I started by giving him a couple ideas, then tried branching off on my own. I hope to have the same impact on LRF that he has. What is he now a 3 time best picture winner? I hope to get there some day.

PD: Do you care more about critical praise or box office success?

SJE: Critical. It’s an easy answer for me. I am not like Jimmy and won’t be doing superhero ventures, so Box office isn’t my main concern. Right now I am writing things that I would want to see, I feel that if I continue down that route I will eventually start getting higher critical praise, especially once I’ve been here for a while.

PD: What types of films can we expect to see from you in the future?

SJE: As I said above, you won’t be seeing superhero projects from me, I do love them, but can’t see myself writing them. I aim to do mostly lower budget, low effects films but that’s probably the opposite of my next one. Troll Mountain is a series of novellas that I love so wanted to adapt. That is my next film. After that I have no solo projects, but have a couple co-written ones in process. When I started Jimmy told me that he has had his most fun when he has a writing partner, so I reached out to some of them. I have a film coming with John Malone titled Man of God, starring Josh Brolin. And I have one with Chad Taylor that is currently untitled, it is starring Jon Bernthal as a former sports star that has his daughter thrown back into his life. I truly hope you guys keep seeing more of me in the future.

PD: I know you're still relatively new to the LRF world, but do you have any favorite LRF releases?

SJE: Yes. Jimmy used to show me his and I love Klondike, that is my favourite one he has collaborated on, I’m so glad it succeeded. From the season that just want I agree with everyone I guess that Judas Iscariot was fantastic, but I have to say Berserker was my favourite of last season. I think the casting and story was just perfect. I hope Jimmy’s Norse film comes close to that. As for others, I’ve been going through some films slowly and I have to say I read Chad Taylor’s A Lost Sense of Heaven and it goddamn wrecked me. Man, I hope I can write like that soon. But yeah A Lost Sense of Heaven is probably my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment